Thursday, January 16, 2014

burping

Isn't burp a funny word? (Why yes, I am five years old.)

What's a better project for a newbie seamstress than burping rags? I mean, they're literally gonna be covered in some milky spit up so there's no pressure on those straight seams, my friends. I've been sewing these burping rags like crazy lately. As an infant, Grahm had really bad acid reflux, so if Sawyer is anything like her daddy we're gonna need as many of these things around as possible!

You'll Need:
Terry Cloth/Chenille
Cutesy Fabric (cottons or flannels)
Scissors
Pins
Measuring Tape/Cutting Board
Cut a piece of chenille and a piece of flannel into 10 by 18 rectangles. Really your burping cloths can be whatever size you want, but I like this size. Not too big. Not too small. You can easily fold into thirds. Also you can get 12 rectangles out of one 60-in. yard of chenille, so that's awesome.
Pin fabric together, right sides facing each other. Sew pieces together, but leave a small opening. Cut all four corners for a nice finish. Flip fabric right side out. Pin opening together. Sew a topstitch around entire cloth.
And voila!
When I ran out of chenille, I repeated this process with terry cloth. TC is much cheaper than chenille, for sure, but it's also a little more rough and it definitely isn't as pretty. (I'm not sure that should really be a factor when you're making burping rags, but ya know...)
With the two yards of terry cloth I bought and the many, many cottons I have around the house (I love the remnant section!), I made 28 cloths (of different sizes) for just under $12. Gotta love that Hobby Lobby coupon! 

After sewing a bajillion of these bad boys, I decided I like the chenille/flannel combo the best. It's a tad more expensive, and chenille is nearly impossible to find, but it's so much softer and more absorbent (an obvious requirement for burping rags).

If, however, you're not into making your own burping rags... I have the solution! My sweet blogger friend, Lauren, has just started her own Etsy shop, JBaby Rags. She is quite the seamstress and uses adorable flannel prints for her rags that any baby would love to spit on! She's not only hilarious and a fabulous blogger, she would also make a wonderful mother. Her and her husband started this shop to raise money for their IVF treatment. So even if you don't have a baby spitting up around your house, head on over to JBaby Rags and buy some of her adorable creations. They make great gifts, and it's for a wonderful cause! 
You can read more about their story here.

27 comments:

lo @ crazy ever after said...

Thank you for saying such sweet things about our blog and etsy shop. Your burp rags look so awesome!!

Breanna said...

I just got a sewing machine for my birthday and have no idea what to do with it. (even though I did ask for it - why I asked for something I have no idea how to use I will never know) Anyways, this is a great/cute idea that I can actually try, thank you for posting it!

www.goingupupandaway.blogspot.com

Laura Nelson said...

this is so wonderful! i'm going to try this next week!!

Kalen said...

Holy smokes girl look at you go! Those are all so adorable! You're getting so close!!

Mikell Gordon said...

These are awesome.. I'm totally going to be making some of these for sweet bun in the ov! woot!

Evelien said...

These are really nice! I love them :)

Lauren said...

those are adorable. and it might seem like an excessive number to you now, but it's SO nice to have extras - some to keep in different rooms of the house, diaper bags, and your never-ending pile of dirty laundry :) you are almost there, mama!

Kaysie said...

I am sewing-tarded but sewing-envious. I wish I had a machine and a little old lady to teach me the magical ways of threads. These came out great!

Kelsey Eaton said...

super cute! Like Ive said before. DIY. Queen.

Sasha Savy said...

Girl these are awesome! I think you should go into business, LOL. Love them all!

Vicki Angel said...

Such beautiful 'burp-rags'! Haha! Looks like you made enough to be super prepared! :)

Love & Kisses xoxo

missvickiangel.blogspot.co.uk

Susannah said...

Those are so cute!!! I'm going to have to make these when I'm finally pregnant!

Kaity said...

Pinning this for later! I've been itching to use my sewing machine more and this seems like a perfect beginner project!

Megan said...

Cute! I usually just make flannel / flannel and it's cute and workS!

Kalyn V said...

I wish I would have known about her etsy shop sooner - I have a baby shower to go to Saturday and those would have been perfect!

And yours, ma'am, are fabulous as well!

Ashley said...

These turned out great!! I can't wait to see what sex we are having so I can make some gender specific ones!!!

Ps. Check out my give away in the blog today for a custom onsie!!

Kayla MKOY said...

You should totally sell these! That yellow one is my FAV (obviously)!!! :) go you!

Sarah Spitser said...

another great option if you're up for making more is the pre folded "old school" cloth diapers. You do a stripe of the accent fabric down the middle or really how ever you want.

http://www.thinkingcloset.com/2013/03/27/burp-cloth-tutorial-for-the-beginner-sewist/
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/reusable-cloth-diapers/gerber-10-pack-cloth-diapers-50635r060101std-12378513
http://chickpeastudio.typepad.com/chickpea_sewing_studio/diaper-burp-cloth-tutoria.html

Ashley @ ThisUnscriptedLife said...

Those are beautiful! What a great idea =)

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

So pretty! What a great baby shower gift idea!

Jena said...

You can't have to many burp cloths! We have them all over the house just in case we should need one in a hurry! My Husbands aunt made us some cute ones out of cloth diapers; i think there are 12 of them, but we definitely could use more.

I recently inherited a sewing machine; maybe this should be my first project.

Lauren said...

these are beautiful! my favorite burp rags when Elyse was a newborn were the homemade ones from some great friends!

Julie Joy said...

Well look at you go! Fabulous job! It sounds complicated! I haven't sewn since I was a little gal and my Granny would let me make all sorts of stuff. Your an inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Lucero De La Tierra said...

These are so cute. You did a very nice job. In 30 years when your little one has babies you can pass them down. Since she won't be allowed to get married til she's 30, right? (According to her father anyway) :D

http://blog.earthformed.com

Maxine Elizabeth said...

Oh!!! I'm going to need some of these :-)

Mason's Mama said...

Mason calls it "burting". haha. Not sure why, but he's adamant that's what it's called.

These came out so great! I wish I knew how to sew. bah!

Chelsea Edwards said...

I used your tutorial to make some for a few friends who are pregnant, and they turned out so great! Thanks for sharing this!! They are seriously the perfect size! I'm excited to get started on some for our baby!!