Monday, February 11, 2013

Surprise!

On Friday night, we left town to go "camping." Grahm thought we were meeting friends (who had all the camping supplies) in Houston for the weekend. When we made a pit stop for some gas (and an ungodly amount of junk food), I told him the real reason we were going to Houston. SURPRISE!

Here's his reaction:
(He's stinkin' cute, if I do say so myself.) The next couple hours were spent convincing him that he'd be great and deciding what song he was going to sing.

When we finally made it to Houston, we immediately pulled into Reliant Center, expecting a big line. There was no one. The nice guy in the tiny security shack told us, "Yeah, there's no way they're gonna let you line up till 4." ... It was 11:15.

We decided to get a hotel, and lo and behold, there was one right across the street! Only one room left! The hotel clerk wasn't exactly a salesman. He made the room sound real jank-tastic and asked if we wanted to check it out first. In an unfortunate turn of events, while we were up checking the room out... someone had booked the room from an outside source. So, we were up a creek. By this time it was 12ish, and I was not wanting to fork over 120 bucks to sleep for 3 hours. So we opted for the car.

Here we are (after two hours of Grahm practicing). Super attractice freeze frame, yeah?  
After tossing and turning in the car for two hours, I couldn't take it anymore. It was 3:30, and I wanted to see what the line looked like! When we arrived, there were only 30 people in front of us. We were about to keel over from fatigue, but we were pumped. Just our luck though, we sat next to the guy who liked to burst into song to "intimidate" everyone else around him. (He also drank a beer at 5 am, if that tells you anything.)

After four hours of standing outside, they finally let everyone in -- except for me, that is. Friends and family weren't allowed to go into the building, so I had to wait in the car for 3 hours. Pins and needles, I tell ya.

He finally came to the car, without a red ticket. He had auditioned with 10 others in front of one very serious man. He chose the two female gospel singers, and apparently one was terrible. (The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they were looking for something specific, but maybe that's just the bitter wife of a rejectee talking...) We did, however, make the news. Grahm's in the shot at 10-12 seconds, so he's basically famous.

The trip was a blast, something we'll always cherish and remember. He's already talking about auditioning for next season!

Thank y'all so much for all your sweet tweets and RTs. I was blown away! Cannot express how sweet it was! Next year, y'all. #GrahmRoachStillNeedsACoach

35 comments:

Amie said...

What an amazing surprise! That's good for the "super wife" title for like the rest of the year! It stinks he didn't make it, but there's always next year & lots of time to practice...& hopefully not another icky male judge who only picks girls! ;)

Tamara said...

You are such a freaking awesome wife! I love his reaction when you told him.
I was once on the news in the background, so I know what it feels like to be famous - I hope it doesn't get to Grahm's heads.
I hate that he didn't get a coach, but there's always next year. #TeamRoach

Holly said...

So sad he didn't make it but what a FUN and AWESOME opportunity!! You're a great wife :)

Whitney Ellen said...

I loved following this fun story via Twit and Instgrammy!
This is seriously an awesome story to tell.

Rachael said...

Awww I LOVE his reaction when you told him!! So sweet. :) I'm so sad he didn't make it, but that's awesome that he's already planning for next year. Go Grahm!!

Married...with a Pup said...

How exciting!! Seriously he gets major props for just trying out. I bet that was nerve racking!

lo @ crazy ever after said...

I already told you about my dream via Instagram. I still believe that dream will be happening. Just not yet. YAY Graham cracker crust.

Mish Lovin' Life said...

such a cute reaction from him! Now put up a video of him singing!!

xoxo

julia rose. said...

YOU are the best wife in the world. And YALL are the cutest couple in the world!!! I love Grahm's reaction- too stinking sweet! :) Thank God you video taped his reaction and your sleeping adventure- it only reaffirms the that fact I need you in my REAL life. Not just blog life. mmmmKthanks.

Amy said...

i've been excited about this post all day!
I loved his reaction, so stinking adorable! :) And you know what, it takes a lot of courage to freaking audition for something like that, so GOOD FOR HIM! What an awesome opportunity and i'm looking forward to hearing how it goes next year!

Brooke Houston said...

What a sweet and thoughtful wife! At least you have a fun story and a memory that will be with you until the end of time. It was awesome that you filmed it too.

Annabelle said...

What a great suprise! Grahm is one lucky guy! He better get ready to audition again! ;)

Brandy said...

That is such an awesome surprise! Loved his reaction.
Hate that he didn't make it, but that's okay, there are still other chances!

Courtney Carlton said...

I love this. His reaction is perfect. "But I don't have a song... what am I going to sing?!?" So sweet. Glad you guys had fun, and even though they are obviously missing out on him (!) that he at least gave it a try!! So cool. #GrahmRoachisabovereproach! Haha

Lauren said...

They don't know what they are missing! Right? Here's to next year...

Sarah said...

Tell G-unit that I'll accept thank yous in the form of a video of him singing one of his songs. Yup. Only fair.

Pamela said...

what an amazing wife you are!! soo sweet of you! his reaction was sooo cute!

Alexa said...

This just killed me. I freaking love y'all, you're adoooooorable! Tell the Grahm Cracker that we all still think he's amazing, and that also has the most wonderful wife in the whole state 'a Texas!

Becca Moss said...

This is so freakin' awesome! I'm so happy he auditioned but super bummed he didn't make it. You deserve wife of the year award, fo sho! So sweet! (:

Jeans and a Teacup said...

Sorry that your husband didn't get through...but what a great story! I hope he tries again next year!
~Jessica
Jeans and a Teacup

Allison said...

Aw I love his reaction to the surprise! You are such a good little wifey. And now you have him excited to try again! Mission accomplished!

Ashley @ ThisUnscriptedLife said...

That is awesome! He was so happy!
I hope he does try again next year. Never give up! =)

Holly said...

freaking adorable!! I loved that you posted these videos! I hope he'll try again next year! I hate I missed the twitter trend ##GrahmRoachNeedsACoach

Jodi said...

So bummed that he didn't get on! I'm so glad you had fun anyways. No bueno to sleeping in the car though!

Kerrie said...

wow thats really amazing! You're a rockin' wife!

Ashley from The Kitchen-Sink Chronicles said...

I could never pull of that kind of surprise!

Andrea @ Love is... said...

So bummed he didn't make it, but it's still such an amazing thing you did for him! Hope it happens next year!

Jana said...

Holy moly! Major wife points for you! What a sweetheart you are. I really hope you guys try again next year. That would be so cool! :)

CoastWithMe said...

Hey girlie! You guys should also consider sending in a video submission (maybe for next year:)))!

Love and Such said...

I loved this!!
Grahm is such a good sport and I loved your videos!

I'm bummed he didn't make it through!

Claire Berard said...

LOVE this!! Ya'll are so stinkin' cute!! Ya'll so need to come over and hang out with us!!

Whitney said...

That's so awesome! Although, it makes me super sad because I live in Houston and I would have totally lent my couch to you!!

Sierra said...

I just found your blog and I absolutely love it! I am a new follower!!!

Tara said...

How awesome is this!!! You get the all star wifey award for sure!

Jaime Hungry said...

This is the sweetest thing ever!! My little sister is auditioning for the X-factor today, I'm so excited for her!!