Monday, July 2, 2012

Six-Word Memoir

Six words are not a lot.

Usually my six-word phrases consist of "Can I have the credit card?" or "Can you super size that, please?" and Grahm's personal favorite, "You're really going to wear that?"

When I started thinking about summing up my life in a mere six words, I was surprised at how challenging it was. Words like "McDonald's fries," "cookie dough by the pound," or "I have this really weird thing were I like to pluck people's eyebrows" came to mind. I figured though, this was meant to be a little more serious than a laundry list of junk food currently clogging up the cellulite pipes in my backside, or my weird desire to rip hair out of someone's face (strangely gratifying).

This is what I came up with: Seeker of acceptance, stories, and laughter

I think, in a way, all of us are searching for acceptance in some way. I'm not exactly the first. We all want to feel normal. Understood. Valued. I've definitely found this to be true in my own life; I'm constantly seeking acceptance from those around me like a lost puppy, "Pleaaaase loooovee me!" Every day I'm incredibly thankful that I married a man who, for some strange reason, accepts me just the way I am.

Stories are something that I'm always pondering. It's a weird way of viewing life. Either I'm reading a story, completely enraptured in its world... or I'm creating stories in my head. I think it's part of the quirkiness of writers. We're always staring into a stranger's face, creating their past, passions, and current pursuits... or we're scribbling down some stroke of brilliance or observation we've just had that we want to remember for a character.

And if you know me at all, I love to laugh. Really, I think it's God's greatest gift to human life (besides grace and Ryan Gosling). Laughing just makes everything better. Grahm often tells me I laugh in my sleep. I really like to be around people who can make me chuckle, and I try (entirely too hard) to make everyone around me laugh.


I think the great thing about these six-word memoirs is that they'll constantly be changing depending on your stage of life. It'll be interesting to do this again in a few years. Who knows? Maybe by then I'll have found some acceptance in the writing world by publishing a story that made someone laugh.


What are your six words? Link up with Sarah, here!

17 comments:

mrs. tabb said...

stop! you are the cutest ever. And your memiors were amazeballs. :)

Nagehan said...

You're amazing!

Jenna said...

This is such a great idea, and I love your six words as well as your reasoning :)

I would really have to think of my six words, but off the top of my head a few would definitely be: learn, travel, and weird. Because I'm actually pretty darn weird sometimes {in a silly sort of way not a creepy sort of way, ha!} - sometimes I don't know how Jurgen puts up with my antics!

xxx
Jenna

Allison said...

Wow...6 word memoir that's tough! Loved reading your other ideas you made me laugh out loud. I agree about laughter being one of God's greatest gifts!!

Lauren said...

I love this! You're a fantastic writer! Those are 6 great words! :) I'm with you on all 3! Laughing is the best!

xo

Ruth said...

Awesome. Like you said, I'm always thinking about stories too... and now I'm wondering what my memoir would be...

Alyssa Lianne said...

Your joke about Ryan Gosling made me laugh so you totally demonstrated that one! haha. Thanks for stopping by, following you now!! :)

Alyssa @ Sugar, Spice, and a Dash of Advice

Laura said...

Laughing while sleeping... my four year old boy does that and it's hilarious. Our walls are paper thin so basically our beds are separated by a piece of paper. Every once in a while I am woke up by his sleep laughter. Best thing to wake up to in the middle of the night. :)

ej said...

"You're really going to wear that?" would be my personal favorite of yours. I hear that statement all the time from my own personal hubby. What a charmer.

That Brunette One said...

I've been blogger absent lately but just caught up with yours! You're so frigging cute haha!

Crissy B. said...

This is so cute! I love the line: " I think it's God's greatest gift to human life (besides grace and Ryan Gosling)." Definitely made me smile!

Tess @ AModernSuburbanitesLife said...

I can really relate to the story part. I am constantly creating things in my head, and then recreating them over and over to the point of exhaustion! and I never remember it by the time I sit down to hast it out. I recreate it again! by the time it hits my blog its been rewritten like 4 times in my head.

Kerri Blue said...

Brilliant 6 words! It sounds so beautiful :)

Good Luck with the rest of the challenge!

Http://answersinthejourney.blogspot.com.au

Erin said...

You are such a great writer--- who am I kidding when I think I could publish a book?! Girl- you got this DOWN!!! ;) I seriously loved your last sentence. And you, and your blog and your face. The end ;)

Sar said...

I love this, Rach! Gorgeous words, plus it's so much fun reading your random side notes ("Would you like fries with that?"). Please continue to be amazing!

Tamara said...

This is wonderful!
I'm completely addicted to laughter. If someone makes me laugh, I'm there for life. Which is why I married the funniest man I know :)

Second Hand Rose said...

I love this idea! Like you I'm addicted to laughter, it really can be the best medicine, I'd have to really think about my six words, maybe lover of family,laughter and imagination. Something like that anyway, such a good idea! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk