Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Most Embarrassing Day

Most embarrassing day? That’s like trying to find a particular varicose vein on your granny's thigh. There are just so many.

I’m sure you’ve all read about my getting stuck in a baby-swing escapade. That was glorious. Or how I’m mortified pretty much every time I encounter the stove like here or there. Pretty much every day with me is filled with some kind of embarrassment of myself or the planet. My hair is blonde for a reason, I guess.

If I had to choose, I think my most embarrassing day HAS to be a particular day in college. Bear in mind, I’m a junior. In college. Like 21-years-old. Okay there, I've set the stage for you.

I was with a bunch of friends at some terrible restaurant on campus. My friend, Katie, was telling us all about her upcoming summer plans about living in Seattle. The conversation went something like this…
             
             Katie: “Yeah I think I’m going to love it in Seattle. We have exciting things planned!”
             The group: “Oh how fun! What kind of things?”
             Katie: “Well I definitely want to drive up to Alaska at some point.”
             Jena: “HAHAHAHA. Good one!”
             
             Katie: “What? I’m serious. I really want to.”
             Jena (totally deadpan): “Katie, you can’t drive to Alaska. It’s an ISLAND. Duh.”
             The group: Silence followed by outrageous bursts of laughter and pointing at me.
            
Katie: "Are you serious?? You thought it was an island? BAHAHAHA."

That’s right, folks. Until my 21st year of life, I thought Alaska (like Hawaii) was an island. Good lord, my life is sad. Bet my parents are glad they paid for that private school education now. My rationale behind this gross geographical error was due to every map of America. Like this one:

Source
See? Alaska appears to be surrounded by water, like HAWAII?! I just failed to notice how straight the right side of the state is…

Moral of the story: Grahm never lets me navigate, and America needs new maps. People are getting lied to EVERY DAY. 

Link up with Sarah today!

26 comments:

Alana Christine said...

bahahaha. Totally sounds like something I would say!

Emily said...

Hahahaha I have embarrassing moments like that ALL the time!!

The Greers said...

I made a comment exactly like this when I was in 7th grade (10 years younger!!) and I still haven't lived down the day. My 7th grade yearbook is FILLED with, "Hey Katherine, have a great summer. By the way, where's Alaska?!" I feel ya.

Sar said...

Haaaahahaha that's kind of adorable.

My dad used to make Norweigan pancakes (like a crepe, kind of), and one day I was talking about how I couldn't want to eat one and my mom said, "Where are Norweigan pancakes from?" and I answered, "Norweiga? I mean Norway!" But my parents have conveniently forgotten that I corrected myself immediately and now pretend like I said "Norweiga" and didn't know what Norway was.

Rachel said...

In all honesty, because of that exact format of maps of the USA, I thought Alaska was an island near Hawaii too--but only in elementary school. It's pretty embarrassing to not realize that it's attached until college...oh man, I would have pointed and laughed too, I'm sorry! :P

Blayne Royse said...

Ahh the beautiful Alaskan islands. Love you :)

Mary Rachel said...

Hahaha, awesome. :-)

Alyssa Lianne said...

That is so funny! I always forget that Alaska is part of the US.. my boyfriend mentioned he wanted to go and I said that we'd have to get passports. Oops haha. I'm not even that blonde like you!:P

Courtney Carlton said...

That's awesome. It is confusing!

I'll never forget my freshman year at Baylor (in Waco, TX) as I was talking to a gal who was from Dallas. I, on the other hand, am from the Seattle area. When she heard, she said "gosh, you're so lucky to be from the East Coast. It's just so beautiful!"

I couldn't even bear to correct her. I just said "Yep. I do love the East coast!" haha

Katie said...

Hahaha that is amazing. Those maps are absolutely deceptive!

Lauren said...

hahaha! love this! but honestly those maps are a little tricky!

elise marlene said...

You're precious ♥ Don't feel too bad! I was one of three people in a class of about fourty (it was an elective and obviously NOT one of my AP classes) my senior year of high school who knew that Japan was a series of islands.

Jenna said...

Hahaha I say things like that all the time.

Allison said...

Wait what? Alaska is not an island? Just kidding...but I totally see how you got that! I'm terrible absolutely TERRIBLE with directions and maps so I feel your pain!!! My worst nightmare would be someone asking me geography questions that maybe a 4th grader should know and seeing their reaction to how many I didn't know. Haha. Oh well.

Mrs. Robinson said...

Haha - I can totally see why you would think that, but....bless your heart. :)

Emily Dextraze said...

hehe! It has a straight side because it is attached to Canada!! :) [ps I'm a Canadian!]

Krista Lynn said...

Hahaha!!! Whoops...! Bet you'll never get that wrong again :)

Krista

Rorie said...

Hahah this is great!! it happens, we have all done things like this!!

Liz Brown said...

:)

I personally have fun being a blonde. I think blonde jokes are funny. It also makes a good, humorous excuse for the everyday silly stuff that happens. But ... then sometimes REALLLY blonde things happen, and it is truly humbling. All I can say to your story is, yeah, been there. :D

Lauren said...

this is so totally awesome.

Megan said...

That is too funny! Don't we all go through life with some strange misconception that shouldn't be there anyway?

Rachel said...

Hahaha you seriously crack me up. Hey, we all make mistakes. I put my foot in my mouth one day and said that eggs come from cows? I guess I assumed eggs were a dairy product and therefore came from cows. I'm telling you--we all have some slow days :)

Katie said...

OMG! That is the best story ever! HAHA!

Amy said...

HAHAHAH that was amazing! Thank you so much for sharing! :) :)
And yes, those maps are completely deceiving!

Lauren said...

Hahahahaa so until now... I thought it was an island too! You're not alone haha! :)

xo

Second Hand Rose said...

Being from the UK I completely understand that! And the map is very deceptive, Obama should definitely put it in his plan to change the maps. He'd get my vote! Lovely adorable story! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk