Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A guest blog and her pet peeve

Hey friends! Jena asked me to guest post over here since she's going on a trip (so jealous!) and somehow I finagled my way into getting her to post on my blog this morning too. I'm Sar from [life of love], come read her post and say hi!

When Jena asked me to blog post, I figured I'd continue on with her theme of pet peeves.
My biggest pet peeve? People spelling my name wrong. It's Sarah. You know, with an h. Yes, I know it's silent. Yes, I know that others may see it as unnecessary (although the Bible has it too, and we all know the Bible is the Word). And yes, I know that you know many other people named Sarah, or Sara, or Sarag (you know, the silent g), but please get it right.

If you email me and don't realize that my email address contains my name (with an h), that's okay. I'll let it go. But after the first reply, when I sign my name as Sarah, it's just plain ignorant to misspell it. And when I remember to spell your name correctly, even if it's Danyell (I know one), Jaimie (yeah, two i's), or Carleigh ('cuz Carly was too common), I don't complain, I just refer to you in writing correctly. 'Cuz I'm nice like that.

All you of non-Sarahs probably don't feel the same way, or maybe nobody has ever consistently buchered your name. I've been working with my major professor for four years now and I still get emails addressed to "Sara."
And that's the story of why I go by Sar.

17 comments:

meghan said...

This is a fun post, Sar! I am in the same boat with Meghan, and the added 'h'. Love it! =)

New follower of Jena's - loving your blog, girl!

Keep Shining,
Meghan

Brekke said...

Totally understand your pet peeve! My name is Brekke, it's swedish and pronounced like "Breck" you know rhymes with wreck, Shrek, blech. Anyway, I can forgive people for not spelling or saying it correctly for a little while. But after repeatedly correcting to no avail I just start answering to whatever. I'm extra careful about spelling people's names for that reason! :)

Sar said...

I'm sure you feel my pain! All the ridiculous silent h's! Give us credit!

Sar said...

Brekke is the cutest name ever! I love it. I can definitely see how annoying it must be to correct people, though. Luckily, people still pronounce my name right, but can never spell it. Arg! Us Sarahs (and Meghans, etc. etc.) thank you for being extra careful!

L-Kat said...

People usually spell my name right, but 99% of the time they pronounce it wrong. It's Leslie, pronounced Less-lee, not Lez-lee. Like Brekke say, I forgive people the first few times, but then it is just annoying. I make sure to pronounce their name correctly, do the same for me! Sheesh.

Sar said...

Preach it, sista! I bet Jeremys have the same problem, getting called Germies.

Nagehan said...

Girl you are preaching to the choir :) My name is NAGEHAN. Now, dealing with that my whole life wasn't easy. I wrote about it on this entry a while back: http://confessionsofaturkishgirl.blogspot.com/2011/12/thats-not-my-name.html

Michelle said...

I'm Michelle and people often spell it with one "l" or I've even had it spelled "Mashell." Ok, the one "l" I can understand...but Mashell? Really? haha oh well.

Kaitlyn said...

Haha! Too funny. This happens to me alllllll the time. It especially irritates me on facebook, like if someone I don't know is commenting in reply to something I commented on ... my name is right above where you are typing, how can you misspell it?

lolopete said...

Found your blog through Sarah's guest post and LOVE it! Now your newest follower :)

Sar said...

I love this entry! I'm a teacher so I'm constantly worried that I'm mispronouncing names on day 1 of class, but I always tell my students to let me know how to say it and if they'd prefer a nickname!

And, for the record, I LOVE the name Nagehan!

Sar said...

Hahaha, I think I default on "Michelle" because that's the way the youngest daughter's name in Full House was spelled. That's weird that I remember that, right?! Regardless, lovely to meet you Michelle!

Sar said...

Yes! Kaitlyn, Caitlyn, Caitlin, Kaytlin, I can see all the confusion easily occurring, but totally agree, shouldn't you see my name on FB/email and realize you're spelling it wrong?! I recently wrote on my friend Kaitlin's blog, then immediately realized I commented by spelling her name with a y, so I left another comment saying "I'm so sorry, I meant Kaitlin!" so I feel like the Sarah thing should give other people guilt too. ;)

sarah@totalbassetcase.com said...

100% with you on this! My name is Sarah as well and I just don't understand how people don't get it, especially when they've known you for a while. My maiden name was Sarah Swann so an 'h' and 2 'n's'. Guess how many times I saw Sara Swan. SO annoying.

Kell said...

Um.. my name is Kellie. With an IE. No one ever spells my name right. My favorite is when I'm on Facebook, with my name clearly spelled, and people still spell it 'kelly'. Come on! I feel your pain.

Sarah said...

I am a Sarah too....and I TOTALLY feel ya! I try and make a point to spell people's names correctly, why is it so hard for others to do the same...especially when it is in the e-mai!?!? :)

It's not finished without the H!!!

And I think I need that t-shirt....

Nagehan said...

You are the sweetest! Thank you so much :)