Monday, February 6, 2012

Dating Anniversary

Grahm asked me to be his girlfriend two years ago today. (You can still celebrate that after you get married, right?) This is a picture of us as baby face trolls, just starting out in a relationship. Hence, the ungodly amount of awkwardness. (What in the name of Aunt Jemima are my bangs doing?)


We went to the same itty bitty Christian school, just not at the same time. (He's an old fart, so he graduated three years before me.) Mutual friends of ours, Jon and Laura, had been scheming to get us together. (I think I'm gonna have to give them our first child to repay our debt or something.) Here they are at our wedding. 


Grahm and I went out twice in Oklahoma. I thought he was adorable (still do). We started talking, because that's basically the only thing we could do after our first two dates... cause oh, did I mention? He lived in Tampa. He had to go back to Florida to finish up his degree. I was still in Oklahoma, finishing mine. Do the math and that's a whole lot of mileage between us. Not a good start to a relationship. (I was the kind of person who judged people in LDR. "Pshhh. How do you think THAT'S gonna work? He can't even come change a tire for you.")

Well karma kicked me in my overly plump buns.
Several weeks and a million phone conversations later, he flew down to see me. (Last night he informed me that he was broke at the time. Talk about priorities. Girl? Food? Girl? Paying rent? Girl, it is!) 

We went to sushi and ice cream, a classic date night for us even now. He told me he was in this 110 percent and really wanted to explore "us" further. I almost broke it off a few hours later. I mean, the guy lived in FLORIDA. Not exactly a hop, skip, and jump away. And if you don't already know by now, I'm super needy. I didn't think I was cut out for this long distance thing.

For some reason I didn't break it off before it even had a chance to begin. (A good thing too, because I'm basically the bomb.com at LDRs.)

We Skyped the crap out of each other, sent letters/packages, and visited each other as often as possible. It sucked, but we managed. It helped that we weren't used to seeing each other every day. A few months later, he graduated and moved to Oklahoma. And now, here we are... two little Roaches in love. Life has been some kinda crazy wonderful... but mostly crazy.


27 comments:

Lauren said...

such a sweet story! you guys are too cute!

Jeanna said...

Y'all are so precious! :)

Emily Hope said...

I debated continuing to celebrate our dating anniversary after getting married - but it's still a monumental time in your life so it should be celebrated. Plus it's nice to have an excuse for a night out with a handsome dude.

I love this story - and enjoy your day!

Kristin said...

What an adorable story! He's a keeper!

Melissa Knott said...

So sweet... Happy 2 years!

michaela @ m.jane said...

an adorable little love story. thanks for sharing and happy 2 years dating anniversary.

Kathy B. said...

Aww this is such a lovely post! Happy 2 years... You make the most gorgeous couple! I do love the awkwardness in the awkward photo.. it's amazing how photos evolve throughout the relationship!

xXx

Liz Brown said...

I definitely think thats a good anniversary to keep celebrating. :) I bet you are SUUUUPER happy that you didn't break up with him then.

By the bye, I just love the little quirky phrases you throw in, like 'overly plump buns'. :P

lori said...

happy anniversary! i totally think you should definitely celebrate your dating anniversary... mine is this month, too :)

lo @ crazy ever after said...

Dativersaries are totally celebratable, even after the I Dos. Jesse and I just had our three year on the 27th. We celebrated the following Sunday by going ice skating, something he had been promising me since our first date. And my back is still "celebrating" by kicking my ace, due to my sweet and spastic skating skillz. Yeah. I feel older than Madonna does today after her halftime performance.

Alana Christine said...

Aww happy anniversary! Glad to know that LDRs can work : )

Kerrie said...

very cute! I started my marriage in a LDR too! (I'm not gonna lie, it took me several minutes to figure out what those letters stood for hahaha)

Erin said...

Congrats on the anniversary! ;) My hubs and I totally still count out 'dating anniversary' as a special day to us! Ours is coming up at the end of this month :)

Crystal said...

Congrats on the anniversary and of course you can still celebrate it! Makes life that much more exciting :) My hubby and I started out long distance as well, me in northern MN and he in Chicago so I can understand how that was. Ours is in October and I'm sure we will celebrate as well!

Nicole - Craft My Soul said...

awww what a precious story. I love hearing "how we met" stories. I'm glad you stuck through it because you're totally adorable. My Fiance and I are celebrating our 6 year first date anniversary in two days. February 8th. He was also my first real valentine.

Ashley said...

That is too cute :)

Jillian Nicole said...

Love that you guys still celebrate your dating anniversary--so cute!:)

Allison said...

Definitely important to celebrate your dating anniversary!! Love your LDR story. :)

Nagehan said...

J and I started dating february 4th of last year! We just celebrated our 1 year :)

Meg {henninglove} said...

yes it is totally ok to celebrate your dating anniversary after getting married. and your friends and never going to let you forget that they set you up!

Tea said...

Awe! I'm so excited that you shared this story! Perfect timing after our e-mails the other day! I am so glad that it worked out for the two of you and am hoping for as much success as you guys had! Luckily Dr. P and I aren't as far away as your and your hubby were, but if you can make it, we can try! :)

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't even remember when our is...how bad is that?

stephanie said...

just precious! happy faux-versary :)

Amanda @ New Adventures said...

This is so cute. Happy dating anniversary! My hubby and I have been together for 8 years!

Page Twenty-Two said...

Your wedding photos are GORGEOUS!! WOW - love the orange accent - that's what I'm thinking of doing! New follower!:)

Miranda said...

what a cute story! happy anniversary :) I couldn't imagine doing long distance...glad you guys made it work!

Evelien said...

Awww such a beautiful story :)
Congrats to you two!!